Education Policy Goals of EPLC
Embedded in all of the activities of The Education Policy and Leadership Center is attention to EPLC’s key education policy goals. All of the Center’s work is focused to develop public policies and leaders that will advance the following six education policy goals:
1. Improve the academic success of all students by strengthening standards-based reforms, including assessments and accountability measures.
2. Establish and maintain in Pennsylvania a statewide education finance system based upon principles of adequacy, equity, accountability and predictability.
3. Build effective educational capacity to support learning by all students, with special emphasis on the need to ensure a qualified teacher in every classroom at all times.
4. Ensure that all Pennsylvania school districts and every school shall have school leaders who will promote and support high achievement for all students through effective instructional leadership, school management and governance.
5. Enact state policies that shall ensure that every young child in Pennsylvania shall have access to high-quality early education programs including pre-school and full-day kindergarten.
6. Ensure that all citizens of all ages shall have practical financial and physical access to a rich range of post-secondary educational opportunities.
Three Core Strategies of EPLC
The Education Policy and Leadership Center has developed and implements three discrete but complementary core strategies to support its mission. These strategies are to:
- Strategy #1 – Information
Link relevant and reliable research and other information to state-level education policymakers and others and to provide assistance with policy analysis and policy development.
- Strategy #2 – Leadership
Develop awareness and capacity among policymakers, educators and community leaders to serve as advocates and champions for significant education policy issues.
- Strategy #3 – Public Advocacy
Promote a public climate that expects and holds policymakers accountable to advocate, adopt and implement effective policies that advance significant education goals.
The Education Policy and Leadership Center is committed to:
- Be a Catalyst
The Center initiates and supports public and policymaker discussions concerning significant education policy issues.
For policymakers and the public, the Center is a source of objective, comprehensive and reliable information concerning current and emerging education policy issues. The Center is both proactive with materials and programs that provide information from a wide-range of resources as well as reactive to specific requests from education policymakers and lay leaders for information and various forms of technical assistance.
- Promote Leadership
The Center sponsors and supports programs and activities designed to build awareness and capacity among policymakers and community leaders to champion significant issues concerning education and young children.