A New Coalition Advocating for Arts Education
The Pennsylvania Arts Education Network is a statewide coalition of arts, arts education, and advocacy organizations and individuals committed to working together to strengthen public and policymakers support for Arts Education in Pennsylvania.
The Network is one of the recommendations included in the Creating Pennsylvania’s Future Through the Arts and Education, a report published in March 2012 by The Education Policy and Leadership Center (EPLC). EPLC provides staff and other support for the Network.
This unprecedented coalition respects the autonomy of its member organizations, but adds value to the work of each of them by promoting and facilitating much-needed voluntary collaboration that utilizes shared goals, strategies, messages, and activities.
Throughout 2013, the Network:
- Developed and distributed a policy agenda to be advocated to state policymakers and school boards.
- Hosted Arts Education Advocacy Day on March 19, in the State Capitol, and supported local advocacy activities.
- Supported the establishment of a bicameral, bipartisan state legislative Arts and Culture Caucus.
- Continues to build communications and advocacy capacity, including web site and social media tools.
- Develops and implements shared advocacy strategies and messages to support the policy agenda.
- Continuously develops champions for arts education among state and local policymakers.
- Co-hosted the Third Annual Arts and Education Symposium at the State Museum of Pennsylvania on October 30.
Policy positions and public messages on behalf of the Network are approved by a Steering Committee that includes:
American Alliance for Theatre and Education – PA Representative
Arts Education Collaborative
Citizens for the Arts in Pennsylvania
Education Policy and Leadership Center
Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance
Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council
Jump Street, Inc.
Pennsylvania Alliance for Arts Education
Pennsylvania Art Education Association
Pennsylvania Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
Pennsylvania Association of School Administrators
Pennsylvania Humanities Council
Pennsylvania Music Educators Association
Pennsylvania State Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance
Pennsylvania State Education Association – Fine Arts Caucus
Pittsburgh Association for the Education of Young Children
Public Citizens for Children and Youth
Former PA Department of Education Arts Advisors:
For more information about the Pennsylvania Arts Education Network, please go to:
Or Contact: Erin Gough, Network Coordinator, at email@example.com (717-260-9900)