Higher Achievement Pittsburgh
Now in its fifth year, Higher Achievement Pittsburgh has seen steady academic improvement among students who participate in its after-school and summer programs. The organization is part of a national initiative. Smith Provides strategic vision, fundraising, and general management, and oversight of the Pittsburgh affiliate.
By leveraging the power of communities, Higher Achievement provides a rigorous year-round learning environment, caring role models, and a culture of high expectations, resulting in college-bound scholars with the character, confidence, and skills to succeed.
By 2030, all students in Higher Achievement cities will graduate from high school, ready for college.
What were you doing before Higher Achievement?
- Director of Community Initiatives and Partnerships at United Way of Allegheny County (now United Way of Southwestern PA)
- Director of Policy and Planning, Special Assistant to the Office of Child Development and Early Learning Deputy Secretary – Commonwealth of PA
- Policy Director – University of Pittsburgh Office of Child Development
What do you do outside Higher Achievement?
- Licensed Evangelist in the Church of God in Christ (Western PA Jurisdiction), wife of Pastor Brian Smith, and mother of Jaden!
- Master in the martial arts discipline of Tang Soo Do (4th Degree Black Belt; training for 18 years)
- Avid runner
Board of Directors:
- Jim Buckheit
- Ronald R. Cowell
- David J. Sallack
- Sheila Dow-Ford
- Colonel (retired) Charles D. Allen
- Michael Churchill
- Dr. Morton Coleman
- Arnold F. Fege
- Karl Girton
- William H. Isler
- Clyde Mills McGeary
- Dr. Harris Sokoloff
- Dr. Gerald L. Zahorchak
- Roberta M. Marcus
- Daniel W. Fogarty
- David B. Skerpon
- Bonita Allen
- Wendy Etheridge Smith, Ph.D.